Entry Title

Freelance, Free Tax?

With technology, the ability to create your own business is endless whether you are a photographer, coder, model, graphic designer, dancer, tutor, etc… the opportunities are endless. You are a self-starter and a go-getter and live by your craft but you don’t often understand the financial and tax implications behind it.

You want to just concentrate on what you are good at and before you even realize it the money is coming in, fast and furious. Now the last thing you want to think about is taxes and cash flow plans etc.  But you have no choice.  So what are the basics? 

Lets start with a 1099, which is a tax document for miscellaneous income; this is where all of your wages for freelancing will be documented for the year, just like a W2 which you may be familiar with. But unlike a W2, no tax deductions will be taken upfront from your wages. The benefit of the 1099 is that you have a little bit more lead room when it comes to planning for your taxes as well as options. #letsgetcreative


• Set up your own company, and absorb the 1099’s through that company, instead of your individual name.

One option is you can set up your own company, and absorb the 1099’s through that company, instead of your individual name. This allows for you as the individual to be paid by your company and elect taking the left over income from the company as the owner in profits. Therefore allowing for a different set of taxes that can be advantageous. To do this you will set up a LLC ( with an S election) or S-Corp and simply have the company’s that are paying you, pay your company, from there you will need to work with a financial/tax professional to understand your potential cash flow and how best to manage your taxes from your company. Finally, come tax time it is best to plan ahead again with your financial/tax professional to understand the rules and regulations and the taxes associated with the strategy, often you can save money by putting in this effort and planning ahead.

Quick Tips 

• Get a separate Business Card (Credit or debit) 

• Get QuickBooks and link it with your business card 

• Track all expenses that are business related (gas, travel, food) #drinksonyou

• Make a Cash Flow plan (Orca’s partners can help you with this) 

• Learn about all potential deductions (Orca’s partners can help you with this)

International FreeLance 

Finally, some of you who are reading this article may be freelancing across the world, and are wondering if you have to pay taxes if you are not living inside the United States. The answer is complicated, but it comes down to the amount of consecutive days that you are living outside of the country, this is where it gets complicated. Once again, this should be discussed with your financial and tax professionals to find the right path for you to keep more of that hard earned money in your pockets. 

With proper planning you can get a clear financial picture and know what your taxes will be and how to get the most for starting your own business, so you concentrate on your company and let our partners help you with your finances.

Have a question about this topic or others? Want a free 15 minute consultation with our partnered advisers? Please Contact Us

Subscribe to stay up to date on all things Orca

Related Posts